Monday, May 9, 2011

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray - Casual Reread

Hey, you guys! So, I FINALLY had some time to review A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. 
The book is about a girl named Gemma, whose mother is killed by the 'shadows'. She is shipped of the Spence Academy in London, where she keeps having these weird 'visions'. A guy names Kartik, keeps telling her to block the visions, unless she wants to put her family in danger. She also befriends some girls at the academy, Pippa, Ann, and Felicity. They start a group called "The Order" after the real Order. Gemma begins to take her friends through a type of Gateway into, I think they were called the realms. I won't spoil the ending and all that, but I have to say that the ending was a bit random, a bit fast, and a bit confusing.
The book started off a bit wobbly, if you know what I mean. In the beginning, the main character annoyed me right off the bat, the plot was a bit shaky, and it seemed like it was a bit slow and confusing. But, as it went on, I really got to know the character and see her mature through the whole book. I really liked her friendship with Ann, Felicity, and Pippa. Normally in books when the main character has an enemy, the have an enemy but they conquer him/her/them; but, in this book, she actually become friends with the girls she thought were her enemies! I thought it was great twist. I really didn't start really reading it with interest until I was a good fifty to sixty pages in (I am sorry I had to end that sentence with a preposition). Anyways, you really just have to push through the beginning until you get through the first fifty pages; not that the first few pages weren't interesting and that there wasn't any action; but, everything is just so new and confusing, I guess, that you are sort of bored. At least, that is how it was for me. In all, I thought it was a great book. She really turned it around in the end. I give it two thumbs up, as Cassidy Tucker would say. You guys should read it!
This book is rereadable in a "I'm going to go outside and reread a book." Not really in a "I'm gonna put off reading new books just to reread this one!"
This is a trilogy so there are two more books after it: Rebel Angels and The Sweet Far Thing.  
A Great and Terrible Beauty, the movie, is supposed to come out in 2013. Can't wait!
My next review will be on Hex Hall! Hope you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment