Monday, May 9, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins - Obsessively Rereadable

 So, yesterday, I started and finished Hex Hall. I mean, WOW! It was an amazing book! Although, I must warn you, occasionally, there is some foul language.
So, Hex Hall is about a girl names Sophie Mercer, who is a witch; but, because she misused her powers, she is sent to Hecate Hall, which, they ironically nciknames Hex Hall. Take a moment to laugh out loud.... Okay, moving on. Hex Hall, as she puts it, is like a nicer juvie for members of the Prodigium(magical people): faeries, witches, and shape-shifters and one vampire. She is invited to join a coven with the most popular girls, but declines, and she befriends the school reject, Jenna, who is also the only vampire in school! She also has a crush on Archer, who is Elodie's boyfriend. Elodie is one of the three girls who invited her to be in their coven. Sophie's relationship with Archer is so well-written. They are really great friends because they get to bond during cellar duty, but you can tell they both want to be more than friends. She starts taking magic lessons from the ghost of her dead great-great grandmother, Alice. Then, attacks starts happening around school, but only members of the 'coven'. People think it is because of L'Occhio di Dio, a group determined to exterminate all Prodigium. I won't tell you the ending; but, woah! It was shocking!
I really liked this book and I only had one con. The cussing. I understand, since they were teens that they cussed, but I don't really like a lot of cussing in literature. But her humor and wit and sarcasm made the books funny and serious at the same time! It is almost the perfect book. It is relaxed, but serious, well-written, but easy to understand, and fictional, but real enough to relate to the character. The sequel to the book is Demonglass, and I cannot wait until it comes out in paperback so I can read and review it. I give this book a 4.9 out of 5 stars, but it is definitely going on my shelf of favorite books. Probably in my top five. 
I am absolutely obsessed with this book series, now. I will always want to reread it and I am going to hold on to this book series for the rest of my life. So, of course I recommend buying it! 
By the way, I want to marry Archer Cross.
The next book I will be reviewing is City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Message me and tell me any thoughts you think I should do our books I should read! Thanks! Follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment