Thursday, June 14, 2012

LA Candy by Lauren Conrad - Casual Read


It's book review time: LA Candy by Lauren Conrad. I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I've actually seen LA Candy and it's counterparts on shelves in several book stores but it never appealed to me, so I didn't buy it. However, the other day I was cleaning my room and I grabbed my Kindle to find a book (since Kindles can read to you) that could play as background noise while I cleaned. I found LA Candy and I figured that I wouldn't get interested in it - that it would just be a buzz in the back of my head. I was extremely wrong. Normally when I clean a room I make noise, which is why I did not want to have a book that I actually liked play in the background - I would just sit there and listen so that I would not miss any of the sentences. Plus, when a Kindle reads to you? You have to listen intently to understand.
It started reading to me and I was hooked by the second sentence. Moral of the story? DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER.
Now, on to the book review.
LA Candy mainly follows the two best friends Jane Roberts and Scarlett Harp who recently moved to LA. Scarlett is a gorgeous braniac who is attending USC, and Jane is generally classified as "the girl next door". Jane moves to LA to work for one of the most prestigious party planners, Fiona Chen, hoping to build her way up in the party planning business. Scarlett and Jane get asked to star in a reality show with two other girls that is to be called LA Candy The other two main characters are Gabby Garcia, sweet but not the sharpest tool in the shed, and Maddison Parker, a rich, self-centered and plotting brat. Gabby and Maddision are also asked to star in the show.
Jane develops feelings for a boy who is in a on-again, off-again relationship, then starts dating the boy's best friend - who also happens to be a well-known celebrity and heartbreaker. The show also seems to be centered around her rather than the others. Scarlett feels as if her relationship with her BFF Jane is becoming distant and she doesn't like the show. Gabby is just... Gabby. Maddison wants the spotlight on her, so she (SPOILER) leaks some inappropriate pictures of Jane to a magazine. I'll stop there, you'll just have to read the book for yourself!
As I said before, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this book! I do read some books that aren't fantasy-fiction but only a few. I really liked the writing style because normally I am a bigger fan of first person POV, but Lauren Conrad pulled of the third person omniscient POV. There is some cussing in the book as well as drinking, visits to clubs, and hints that people slept with each other. These are some things I don't particularly enjoy. However, I could tell that the author put it there for a reason, so I can't say that it took away from the storyline. Hollywood is Hollywood - and what are the most common tabloid topics about Hollywood's stars? Exactly those themes. Other than that the plot was great, the writing style was great, the character development was pretty great.
Now, characters. Scarlett was pretty much the ONLY one who didn't annoy me. I loved her sarcastic humor and her brains. Jane got up in the fame, Maddison was a conniving, egocentric weasel, and Gabby was just stupid. I didn't like pretty much any of the other chracters except: Hannah, Jesse, Braden, Diego, and Liam. The only problem was that a lot of those people were not in the story a lot, so basically my favorite character was Scarlett. I can't wait to read the other two books in the series, Sweet Little Lies and Sugar and Spice. I also want to read the Fame Game series by Lauren Conrad: The Fame Game and Starstruck (only ones that are out so far).
I recommend this series has a casual read. It's a "Throw in my bag and head out to the pool or the beach or just outside" type of read. It doesn't require you to do an deep thinking, so it's a relaxed read.
I'm sorry that this was so long, but I hope that y'all enjoyed! Remember to comment and subscribe to the blog! Talk to you later!

"Joy is the best makeup." ~Anne Lamott

3 comments:

  1. Oh cute! I always judge a book by its cover (maybe I shouldn't). BTW I tagged you for The Liebster Blog Award and if you wanna check it out go here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, everytime I see one of those book covers that looks all dark with a teenager on the cover or a reality type book I skip it. It's a hard habit to break, but I'm trying.
      And thank you! I'll make sure to check it out! :)

      Delete
  2. Here are some Awesome Lauren Conrad Wallpaper Hope u Like it. I'll update my blog and gives you latest Celebrities Pictures and Wallpapers

    ReplyDelete