Sunday, August 12, 2012

Intentions by Deborah Heiligman - One time read


Hey, everyone! Enjoy this review for Intentions by Deborah Heiligman!

Amazon Summary:

"Rachel thought she was grown up enough to accept that no one is perfect. Her parents argue, her grandmother has been acting strangely, and her best friend doesn't want to talk to her. But none of that could have prepared her for what she overheard in her synagogue's sanctuary.

Now Rachel's trust in the people she loves is shattered, and her newfound cynicism leads to reckless rebellion. Her friends and family hardly recognize her, and worse, she can hardly recognize herself. But how can the adults in her life lecture her about acting with
kavanah, intention, when they are constantly making such horribly wrong decisions themselves? This is a witty, honest account of navigating the daunting line between losing innocence and entering adulthood—all while figuring out who you really want to be."

When I first read the summary of this book and then looked at the cover, I was a bit skeptical of this book -for some reason the summary seemed extremely vague to me; but I decided to read it anyways.

I was pleasantly surprised.
Again.
This seems to be a recurring theme in my life lately!

Anyhoo, back to the review! I'll make it short and sweet for y'all!

I really liked Rachel's thought process throughout the book. I had so much sympathy for her. So many bad things happened to her – her parents argue all the time, the rabbi was… I have no words to describe him, and her “kind-of-ex” best friend, Alexis, was downright bad. It was really enjoyable to read Rachel’s story because she was funny and witty and interesting to read about. It was awesome how intuitive she was. Usually is takes characters a long time to realize stuff after I do, but she realized a lot of things almost immediately after I did, so that was really awesome! She was a very relatable and realistic character.
The only thing that bugged me about her was when she cheated. That bugged me immensely. I mean, I know everyone is hypocritical sometimes (she doesn’t like it when someone in the beginning of the story cheats, but she does it herself), but there was something about it that made me mad.
I don't think that I liked the other characters in the book as much as her, though. Especially the rabbi. He creeped me out!
I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I hate it when books have slow, boring beginning. Luckily, this book didn’t. Everything about the first chapter was like, “OMIGOSH. WHAT???” And then the rest of the book was amazing from there.
It was also interesting to see how the characters in the story developed throughout the book. Characters that I thought were going to be flat character turned out to be round characters. The author is very talented in her character creations and developments.

I loved the message the book sent to me, but I have a feeling that the message will be different for everybody. The message I got is that even the people closest to your heart – especially the people closest to your heart - can disappoint you and hurt in ways that no one else can
I was very thankful to the author because she didn’t have a corny ending. There was no sappy “let’s make up and be best friends again” fest. Things are solved, but in a realistic, real-life way…

The plot was bordering on chaotic, but in a good way. It made sense in this book except for when she cleaned her room... I didn’t understand the symbolicness of her cleaning her room. I mean, I understood that she never cleaned it and that it was a big deal, but I still didn’t understand why it was so symbolic…
Altogether, I give this book 4 stars.
It was a one-time read for me, but I can see how it could be a favorite book for someone.
I definitely recommend it!
Thanks for tuning in! Catch you later! :)

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting and I love the cover...I HATE when it takes characters forever to figure something out after I do, so I'm glad that doesn't happen in this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - it drives me bananas when characters take forever to figure things out! It seems like the author is just trying to the novel out!

      Delete