Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Finding Home by Lauren K. McKellar

"When Amy’s mum dies, the last thing she expects is to be kicked off her dad’s music tour all the way to her Aunt Lou in a depressing hole of a seaside town. But it’s okay — Amy learned how to cope with the best, and soon finds a hard-drinking, party-loving crowd to help ease the pain.

The only solace is her music class, but even there she can’t seem to keep it together, sabotaging her grade and her one chance at a meaningful relationship. It takes a hard truth from her only friend before Amy realises that she has to come to terms with her past, before she destroys her future.”

Hey, guys! Today I have a review of Finding Home by Lauren K. McKellar.
Firstly, I’d like to say that this book does deal with some heavier themes – drugs, alcohol, sex, underage drinking, cheating, and more. If those themes bother you tremendously, I do not recommend reading this novel. I was incredibly confused about how I felt about this book - I really did not enjoy the first three quarters of it, but the ending somehow made up for that a little bit. Before I get into the negatives, I’ll talk about the things that I did enjoy. I loved the writing style – the author is very talented in that aspect. It was easy to read and understand. Her writing really helped the main character’s personality shine through and added a lot of depth to her character. I also loved the last 20 pages of this novel (which is about 118 pages). It wrapped up really well and the main character, Amy, finally stood up for herself and stopped being annoying. This leads me to the negatives. I hated the main character throughout most of the novel. She fell for really stupid things; she was also whiney, annoying, frustrating, and a bit dull. It was like the author was manipulating Amy ‘s traits to be very bad so that she could move the plot along. Quite a few events that happened in this novel (which I will not reveal because those would be spoilers) frustrated me. They did not seem realistic and it was really hard to push through some of those chapters. All in all, however, the author really managed to wrap up the story very well and managed to make me enjoy the last part. Some people might really enjoy this kind of story – it was not quite my cup of tea, but in the end I gave it 3 out of 5 stars because the writing style and awesome ending made up for the first ¾ of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment